Respiratory Physiotherapy at Graceville
Physiotherapy can help relieve symptoms associated with our respiratory system, including shortness of breath, reduced lung volumes and impaired airway clearance.
Our team of physiotherapists are highly qualified in the treatment of lung and chest conditions and can teach you a range of relaxed breathing exercises. They can also teach you basal expansion exercises, airway clearance techniques, and how to cough effectively.
What is Lung Physiotherapy?
Lung Physiotherapy is a type of physiotherapy, that we have been practising here for 25 years to treat lung conditions.
The respiratory conditions that can benefit from physiotherapy include:
- COPD or Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease
- Cystic fibrosis
- Post-viral respiratory conditions
- Post-lung surgery
Some viruses can lead to up to 3 months or more of respiratory dysfunction which may be helped by learning how to breathe effectively and efficiently.
Our team of physiotherapists are highly qualified in the treatment of lung and chest conditions. Our physiotherapists can teach you relaxed breathing exercises as well as basal expansion exercises, airway Clearance Techniques and how to cough effectively.
Treatment techniques may include:
- Relaxed deep breathing
- Breathing into different parts of your lungs
- Increasing inspiratory volume
- Chest percussions and vibrations
- Postural drainage
- Reducing strain when coughing
- Teaching proper inhaler use
- Breathing and cardiovascular exercises
To help expand different areas of the lungs, or to help rid the lungs of excess secretions.
To relax the body and thus the breathing. This can help asthmatics who become anxious and thus increase their chance of an asthma attack.
Exercises used to enhance the expansion of the lungs. Used in cardio respiratory conditions all clients with respiratory problems can benefit from some gentle form of exercise,
- Breathing techniques
- Learning to expand different sections of the lungs.
- Learning how to breathe using your diaphragm.
- Learn how to nasal breathe.
- Using devices to help basal expansion such as “The Flutter” device
- Relaxed breathing exercises
- To help expand different areas of the lungs.
- To help rid the lungs of excess secretions.
- To relax the body and thus the breathing. This can help asthmatics who become anxious and thus increase their chance of an asthma attack.
How is Physiotherapy used in Pulmonary Rehabilitation?
Physiotherapy is used in pulmonary rehabilitation to:
- help expand the lungs
- Relax the breathing
- Improve oxygenation
- Promote relaxation
- Improve pulmonary fitness
- Decrease severity of asthma and croup attacks
Our physiotherapists are experienced in the management of respiratory conditions. We see patients both at home and in the clinic. We have all necessary Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) to protect you, ourselves and the rest of our patients.
Contact us today to book.