Considering Physio For Kids? Here’s What You Need To Know.
While children want to be treated like mini-adults, the fact is that their bodies are built differently and move differently to those that are fully grown. Because of this, children should see a physiotherapist who is experienced in treating children.
Children’s physiotherapists are skilled in the knowledge of the development of children, particularly when it comes to movement. This is a very important area of development and allows babies and children the freedom to explore how their bodies move and gives them the sensory input to process the environment they are in.
So what are the benefits of physio for kids?
The main benefits of physio for kids is that your children have the support they need for their continued development. This can consist of recovery treatment after injury, or the potential to identify issues in advance leading to the prevention of injuries in the future.
Our aim is to ensure that the health and wellbeing of each child is optimal, so that they reach their potential and that there is no hindrance to everyday activities like playing or going to school.
The types of developmental issues we assist will vary, but may include things such as:
- Babies and children who achieve their motor milestones slower than others, like babies who are late to learn to crawl or walk
- Toddlers and babies who are clumsy or uncoordinated
- Babies and children who use unusual patterns to move like w-sitting or toe walking
- Children who have difficulty with motor skills, such as jumping/hopping or ball skills
- Treatment following an injury or trauma where children need specific rehabilitation to get back to their best
- Children with rumination
- Children with chronic respiratory conditions such as cystic fibrosis, asthma ,Bronchitis ,bronchiectasis or primary ciliary dyskinesia
When your child sees one of the children’s physiotherapists at Graceville Physio, they will receive a thorough physical assessment. All aspects of a child’s development are interconnected, so it’s important that we get a full picture of your child’s developmental history.
What should I expect during a children’s physio appointment?
During your children’s physio appointment we will:
- assess your child’s overall development and motor function, using our observation skills, and hands on assessment techniques.
- identify what your child is doing well, what they might be having difficulty with, and figure out why they’re having difficulties.
- develop a treatment program in collaboration with you and your child, which aims to address any identified difficulties and maximise the abilities and potential that your child has.
Treatment may include hands on physiotherapy, education about any conditions your child might have and methods for how they can improve their physical function. This includes providing activities or exercises that children can do at home or school that will help their progress, trial and prescription of splints or other equipment that may help to support your child’s development, and if needed, a referral to any other health professionals that might provide additional insight into the care of your child.
Early intervention for children who are developing slowly or experiencing difficulties can improve outcomes in the long term. If you have any concerns about your baby or child’s development, make sure to contact the team at Graceville Physio today. Our goal is to help every patient live pain free, no matter what age they may be.